Nabha, a sub-divisional town of Patiala district, was the capital of a princely state until it ceded to the Union of India and formed part of the Patiala and East Punjab States Union in 1947.
The town was founded by Raja Hamir Singh (d. 1783) in 1755. Although his grandfather, Chaudhri Gurdit Singh (d. 1754), the founder of the Nabha House, had already shifted his headquarters here from his ancestral village, Badrukkhari, the place was simply called 'Chaudhari da Ghar', lit. the chieftain's house.
In 1809, with the power of Maharaja Ranjit Singh expanding, Nabha State decided to make a deal with the British and fell under the protection of the East India Company. During the Indian rebellion of 1857 the state was loyal to its subsidiary alliance with the British and was granted territory as a reward.
There are 2 Historic Sikh Gurdwaras in Nabha city.
This Gurdwara is situated in Nabha town which is located at a distance of 26 km west of Patiala city. This Gurdwara is situated in a tower in the western part of the Nabha Fort.
Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji travelling back from Paonta Sahib to Anandpur in November 1688 alighted at a faqir's hut here one evening, thus granting him his heart's wish. A small mud platform marked this site until a Gurdwara was constructed and endowed by Maharaja Karam Singh (1798-1845) of Patiala.
The Gurdwara, as built by the Maharaja, was a square sanctum, with a covered circumambulatory passage. An assembly hall and some ancillary buildings were added in 1956. The Gurdwara is now managed by a local committee, under the auspices of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee. Special divans are held on the first of every Bikrami month. An annual festival takes place on 2122 Assu, corresponding to 6-7 or 7-8 October, in the local belief that it was on one of these dates, and not in November, that Guru Gobind Singh visited the place in 1688.
There are many Sikh artifacts preserved at this place:
The Hukamnama (Religious order) issued by Tenth Sikh Guru, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji in 1706 to two brothers Ram Singh (ancestor of Patiala rulers) and Tilok Singh (ancestor of Nabha and Jind State's rulers).
A Whip and Sword of Sixth Sikh Guru, Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji.
A Dastar and a Comb which has some hair stuck in it, 3.5 inch long Kirpan (a small sword) and a Hukamnama. Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave these items to Pir Budhu Shah at Paonta Sahib after the battle of Bhangani. Raja Bharpur Singh of Nabha acquired these from the Pir's descendants.
Three Swords, two Studs of a Shield, a Dagger, a tip of an Arrow and a Manuscript of 300 folios. All these items belonged to Guru Gobind Singh Ji.
Gurdwara Dera Baba Ajaypal Singh (Ghorhian Wala) is located at Cant Road, near Nabha-Patiala Road. It is near Lahouri Gate of Nabha Town. This Gurdwara Sahib is in memory of Baba Ajaypal Singh, who was 'Nagarchi' (a war drummer) in army of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.
It is at this very place where he stayed for 39 years and taught art of weaponary to many. During his stay here he seems to have earned repute for his sanctity. Some weapons, drums and clothes associated with him are preserved over here.
This place has been blessed by him, it is believed that if any one offers a horse made of any material then their wishes are fulfilled. Therefore this Gurdwara is famous as the Ghorhian Gurdwara.
Gurmat Gyan (Knowledge)
Other Gurbani Contributors