Khem Karan is a town and a nagar panchayat in the Tarn Taran district of the State of Punjab. Khem Karan used to be in Lahore district before the partition of India.
It became a part of Amritsar district after the partition, now it is in Tarn Taran district and located 4 km from the border with Pakistan.
Many of the town's residents migrated from nearby villages in modern Pakistan between 1947 and 1965, such as Nathuwala, Qadiwind, Rohiwal, and Sehjra. The towns muslim residents migrated primarily to the city of Kasur, 8 km away in Pakistan.
The town used to be easily accessible to the city of Kasur, Pakistan only 8 km away, and to Ferozepur 35 km away, but since India and Pakistan enacted border controls in 1953, the residents of the Khem Karan have been essentially cut off from both towns.
Kasur lies in Pakistan, while the road to Ferozepur cuts through Pakistan, resulting in a detour of an extra 70 kilometre's drive.
The townspeople, and those from surrounding villages, must now travel a long distance to Amritsar or Tarn Taran to procure any major goods, causing great inconvenience, and economic stagnation.
Khem Karan was the site of a major tank battle in 1965 resulting it also being known as the graveyard of tanks. The 1965 Indo-Pakistani War was witness to the largest tank battle in military history between World War II and 1965. The battle led to the creation of Patton Nagar (or Patton City) at the site of the battle viz., Khem Karan.
The battle ended in a decisive Indian victory. The Pakistani tanks were displayed near the Bhikhiwind village for some time after which they were shipped to various cantonments and army establishments in India for display as war trophies.
There are 2 Historic Sikh Gurdwaras at Khem Karan.
Gurdwara Sri Gurusar Sahib Khem Karan marks the site of Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji's visit.
If you have any information on this historic gurdwara, please contact us.
Gurmat Gyan (Knowledge)
Other Gurbani Contributors