Gurdwara Sri Nankana Sahib Mangwal is located on the outskirts of Mangwal.
When Sri Guru Nanak Sahib Ji came here in the early 16th century, the village of Mangwal was, according to local tradition, closer to the site of the present Gurdwara which stands near a deep pond.
It was on the bank of this pond that Guru Nanak had preached to the villagers.
A century later, as Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji visited the village in 1616, he reminded the inhabitants to maintain the sanctity of the pool consecrated by Guru Nanak and not to pollute its water with village waste.
Guru Hargobind also had a platform constructed in honour of Guru Nanak. The villagers obeyed Guru Hargobind and removed to the site of the present village from where they would come to make obeisance at the Thara Sahib, or the sacred platform, and to have a dip in the holy pool.
The present building, a fortress like haveli, was, according to a copper plate preserved in the Gurdwara, constructed in 1886 by Raja Raghbir Singh (1833-87) of Jind. The Gurdwara entered through a massive wooden gate, consists of several courtyards. In the central courtyard is a marble floored domed structure called Manji Sahib Patshahi Pehli. It has a platform, reverently covered with a piece of cloth, representing the Thara Sahib established by Guru Hargobind.
Behind the Manji Sahib, in a separate compound, is the assembly hall where the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is seated in the middle. Preserved as an antique, is a peculiar weapon here called gurzitabar with 1724 inscribed on it in Persian numerals. It is a steel rod with a hilt like that of a sword but the point having five tonguelike blunt blades projecting sideways. A Persian couplet inscribed on it means: 'Gurzitabar in the hands of Gobind Singh strikes the enemy's head.' An engraved figure shows Guru Gobind Singh on horseback.
In another compound behind the diwan hall, there is an old karir tree which has grown through the roof of the building. When Guru Hargobind visited, he tied his horse to the Karir tree. Later, when the construction of the Gurdwara was taking place the Gurdwara masands allowed the Karir tree to be cut and a room constructed. But as time passed the tree grew back and came out of the roof of the room. Yet another compound houses the Guru ka Langar. The old pond has been lined and converted into a sarovar.
Gurdwara Sri Nankana Sahib Mangwal owns 140 acres of land and is administered directly by the SGPC. Besides daily prayers and divans, important days on the Sikh calendar are observed with special religious programmes, Vaisakhi taking precedence among them.
Gurmat Gyan (Knowledge)
Other Gurbani Contributors