Gurdwara Sri Reru Sahib is situated on the outskirts of Rampur village to the east.
Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji came here while traveling from Machiwara to Alamgir with Gani Khan, Nabi Khan, Bhai Dharam Singh, Bhai Daya Singh and Bhai Maan Singh.
Guru Gobind Singh was disguised as 'Uch Da Peer' to avoid the pursuing mughals and stayed here under a Reru (Mimosa leucophloea) tree.
At that time, a Jat farmer named Bhara Mal arrived here and provided Guru Sahib with fresh milk. Guru Gobind Singh asked Bhara for his name. Afterwards, Guru Sahib blessed him and said his future family would prosper.
Bhara, was a Jatt of Mangat clan. During that time he became a Sikh of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.
Baba Attar Singh (1867-1927), while on leave from his army regiment, visited Rampur. Here, he found the old historic Gurdwara, Reru Sahib, commemorating Guru Gobind Singh's brief stop under a Reru tree (Mimosa leucophloea) during his journey from Machiwara towards the Malva country in December 1704.
Seeing the site in such a dilapidated state he became determined to have it rebuilt. During his next leave, in 1901, he with the help of the local sangat (congregation) reconstructed the Manji sahib, the inner sanctum.
Baba Attar Singh spent his leave periods expanding the building and, after his retirement on 18 October 1907, he settled permanently at Rampur.
Baba Attar Singh developed Guru ka Langar, and initiated monthly congregations on full-moon days. He also opened a school where young boys, especially the poor and the blind, were imparted instruction in scripture reading (Path) and Kirtan or hymn-singing with a view to training them as future preachers of Sikhism.
After 20 years of service, Baba Attar Singh re-joined with God at Gurdwara Sri Reru Sahib on 21st January 1927. He was succeeded by Baba Bhagvan Singh (d.1975) who kept the Reru Sahib alive and reconstructed the present building of Reru Sahib Patshahi Dasvin.
Gurmat Gyan (Knowledge)
Other Gurbani Contributors