Gurdwara Tap Asthan Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib is located in Jaunpur, a district town on the banks of Gomati River, 60 km's northeast of Benaras (Varnasi).
This is another place where a well-known Sikh Sangat of old has existed.
When Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji was staying in Benaras, in 1666, the Jaunpur Sangat led by Bhai Gurbakhsh, the local masand, had gone to meet him.
Bhai Gurbakhsh was an accomplished performer of kirtan and Guru Tegh Bahadur had bestowed upon him the gift of a Mridangam (a barrel-shaped double-headed drum with one head larger than the other) in appreciation of his skill and devotion.
Guru Tegh Bahadur himself visited Jaunpur during his return journey towards Punjab in 1670. The Gurdwara, Gurdwara Tap Asthan Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib (Bari Sangat) is in the east of the town on the north bank of the river.
The sanctum is at one end of spacious rectangular hall. A small room, with a square platform in the middle of it, represents the original Tap Asthan, which it is believed, was actually on a sandy mound right on the River's north bank 1.5 km's southeast of the present Gurdwara.
The ruins of a rectangular building can still be seen on top of this mound in the revenue limits of Chachakpur Village. This hut and about two acres of land asurrounding it are still shown in the name of Gurdwara Bari Sangat in the revenue records of the village.
There used to be another Gurdwara, Choti Sangat, in a private house in Rao Mandal Mohalla of Jaunpur, but it ceased to exist after the passing away of its last Sikh occupant, Sardar Jawahar Singh in mid-1960s. Its two sacred relics, a hand written copy of Guru Granth Sahib and a steel arrow believed to be a gift from Guru Tegh Bahadur are now kept in Gurdwara Tap Asthan Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib (Bari Sangat). There are two hand-written copies of the Scripture in this Gurdwara 1742 Bikrami (1685 AD) and 1801 Bikrami (1744 AD) respectively.
Gurmat Gyan (Knowledge)
Other Gurbani Contributors
Live Gurdwara Kirtan