Pandit Kripa Ram Dutt along with about 500 Kashmiri Pandits (on 25th May 1675) begged Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji to save them and their religion (hinduism) in the face of mughal tyranny.
As a result Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji was put in chains and ordered to be tortured until he would accept Islam.
When Guru Tegh Bahadur could not be persuaded to abandon his faith to save himself from persecution, he was asked to perform miracles to prove his divinity.
Refusing to do so, Guru Tegh Bahadur was beheaded in public at Chandni Chowk on 24th November 1675.
Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji is known as 'Hind Di Chadar' ie. 'The Shield of India', as he gave up his life to protect the religious freedom of non-muslims in mughal India.
Gurdwara Sis Ganj Sahib in Chandni Chowk, Delhi, has been built over the area where Guru Tegh Bahadur was beheaded.
Gurdwara Sri Rakab Ganj Sahib, also in Delhi, is built on the site of the residence of Lakhi Shah Vanjara, a Sikh of the Guru, who burnt his house in order to cremate the Guru's body.
The severed head of Guru Tegh Bahadur, executed in Delhi, was brought to Kiratpur by Bhai Jaita (later Bhai Jivan Singh).
Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji travelled from Anandpur Sahib, to Kiratpur Sahib, to receive the head of his father, Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji. Gurdwara Sri Bibangarh Sahib Kiratpur marks the spot where the sacred head was received and placed on a biban to be carried for cremation to Anandpur (at Gurdwara Sri Sis Ganj Sahib Anandpur) in a procession singing the sacred hymns from Gurbani.
The cremation of the head of Guru Sahib was carried out here on 17th November 1675. A memorial Gurdwara in the form of a platform whithin a small room was constructed over the ashes by Guru Gobind Singh himself. When Guru Gobind Singh left Anandpur Sahib, in December 1705, he visited this place and appointed Bhai Gurbakhsh Das as caretaker of this Gurdwara and began his final journey. It is believed that the central pedestal of the Gurdwara is the oldest structure of Chak Nanaki-Anandpur Sahib.
The renovation and enlargement of the monument were carried out under the supervision of Baba Seva Singh of Anandgarh during the early 1970's. The original pavement in the front compound with old Nanakshahi bricks arranged in geometrical patterns is still intact. The two storey building with a pinnacled dome provides a 4.5 metre wide covered circumambulatory passage supported on exquisitively designed marble columns around the inner sanctum where the Guru Granth Sahib is seated.
After Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji was martyred in Delhi (1675 AD), his head was brought back and cremated at the site of Gurdwara Sri Sis Ganj Sahib Anandpur. Directly across from Gurdwara Sri Sis Ganj Sahib Anandpur, where Gurdwara Akal Bunga Sahib is now, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji addressed the Sikhs after the cremation. Guru Gobind Singh Ji, only a young boy at the time, asked the Sikhs them to prepare to fight for freedom of faith and to wage war against tyranny and injustice.
There is an old building, said to have been built, by a pujari caretaker Man Singh, in 1889. It comprises of a pentagonal room on either side of a masonary pedestal on which the Guru Granth Sahib is seated behind glass panels. The pedestal marks the spot where during the funeral of his father, Guru Gobind Singh Ji delivered the speech to his Sikhs.
Gurmat Gyan (Knowledge)
Other Gurbani Contributors
Live Gurdwara Kirtan