Gurdwara Sri Sahawa Sahib is situated in the Sahawa village in the Churu district of Rajasthan.
Sri Guru Nanak Sahib Ji came to this region while travelling towards Nanded.
Guru Nanak rested about 6-7 km away from here at the particular place where Siddhs used to live. Bhai Lakhi Shah, a animal trader, was searching for water for his animals.
The Siddhs were hostile to Guru Nanak's superior knowledge. When Bhai Lakhi Shah asked the Siddhs for water for his animals, they told him to ask Guru Nanak so they could test him.
When Bhai Lakhi Shah asked Guru Nanak to help him, Guru Sahib came here and made a small pit and added water from his 'Garvi'.
Bhai Lakhi Shah was not sure the water would be enough for all of his animals. Guru Nanak asked him to let his animals drink and Bhai Lakhi Shah was suprised to see that all of his animals had drunk the water but the water was still of the same quantity.
Bhai Lakhi Shah fell at Guru Nanak's feet and became his Sikh.
Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji arrived here while travelling from Talwandi Sabo to Nanded. Guru Gobind Singh came here via Sirsa-Nohar. Guru Gobind Singh stayed here for about 25 days. Guru Gobind Singh under the Pipal tree which still exists.
A local Sikh, Daulat Ram, constructed a Thara (memorial platform) here. Daulat Ram's descendants continued to maintain this until 1873 when a Punjabi Namdhari Sikh, Ram Singh, settled here permanently.
Ram Singh established a Gurdwara here to which Maharaja Rajinder Singh of Patiala made a grant of 150 maunds (about six tons) of wheat per year which was converted into an annual cash grant of Rs. 325 soon after. With this money Ram Singh started building the present building on Vaisakhi in 1885.
Ram Singh's nephew and the latter's descendants continued as mahants of the Gurdwara until Baba Baghel Singh Sevawale of Sirsa acquired the from Mahant Harnam Singh in 1966 for further development, and separated it from the residential part of the former mahant's house. Baba Baghel Singh also acquired about two acres of land a half furlong north of the Gurdwara. This plot of land has since been enclosed and developed into a Sarai with Guru ka Langar. Further development continues under his successor Baba Pritam Singh.
Gurmat Gyan (Knowledge)
Other Gurbani Contributors
Live Gurdwara Kirtan