The village of Bhagta, also known as Bhagta Bhai Ka, is situated along the Jaito to Barnala Road in the Faridkot district of the State of Punjab.
Bhagta was founded during the latter half of the 17th century by Bhai Bhagta, the grandson of Bhai Behlo (1553-1643) a leading Sikh of Sri Guru Arjan Sahib Ji.
There are 2 Historic Sikh Gurdwaras in the village of Bhagta.
Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji visited Bhagta around Dec 1705 - Jan 1706. The five sons of Bhai Bhagta, namely Gurdas, Tara, Bhara, Mohra and Bhagta served Guru Ji with great respect.
Bhai Santokh Singh, in Gur Pratap Suraj Granth, records a popular legend according to which Bhai Bhagta had a well sunk with the help of spirits which were still held in captivity by his sons. Guru Gobind Singh, says Bhai Santokh Singh, instructed them not to meddle with the supernatural and to set the spirits free.
An old well in a corner of the compound of Gurdwara Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Bhagta at the northern end of the village is still known as Bhootan Wala Khooh or the well of spirits. The old Gurdwara is a small domed room with a platform in the middle of it. The new Gurdwara building on a high plinth is a 15 metre square hall with the sanctum at one end and a verandah on three sides. A suite of rooms for the granthi and four rooms in a row for Sikhs and travellers complete the complex which is entered through a high gateway.
The Gurdwara, endowed with agricultural lands, is managed by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee through a local committee. Besides the daily services, special diwans take place on the first of every Bikrami month, and on all major Sikh anniversaries. The largest attended is the annual celebration on the 1st of Magh (mid-January).
If you have any information on this historic gurdwara, please contact us.
Gurmat Gyan (Knowledge)
Other Gurbani Contributors
Live Gurdwara Kirtan