Gurdwara Sri Lachi Ber Sahib is situated in the main Gurdwara Sri Harmandir Sahib complex.
Gurdwara Sri Lachi Ber Sahib refers to the Lachi Ber tree located to the right of the Darshan Deori (entrance) to Sri Harmandir Sahib.
The Lachi Ber tree bears small cardamom berries.
In 1577, Sri Guru Arjan Sahib Ji used to sit here under the Lachi Ber tree and supervise the excavation of the sarovar and building of Sri Harmandir Sahib.
Bhai Shalo Ji, a devout Sikh of Guru Arjan also used to participate in the voluntary excavation work.
The Brave Warriors Bhai Sukha Singh and Bhai Mehtab Singh tied their horses with this very tree in 1740 while entering Sri Harmandir Sahib to behead Massa Rangar, a fanatic mughal.
Massa Rangar desecrated Sri Harmandir Sahib by converting it into a dancing hall and pleasure palace.
It is a common misconception that the foundation stone was laid by the Sufi saint Mian Mir of Lahore. The foundation stone was laid by none other than Guru Arjan Sahib himself in December 1588.
The Gurdwara was completed in 1604. Guru Arjan, installed the Guru Granth Sahib in it and appointed Baba Buddha as the first Granthi (reader) of it on August 1604.
A proud ritualistic hindu brahman pandit arrived in Amritsar to hold a religious argument with Guru Arjan. Guru Arjan asked the pandit, "Brahman, why are you so full of arrogance and anger?"
Gurmat Gyan (Knowledge)
Other Gurbani Contributors