Gurdwara Sri Karah Sahib is situated in the Karah village, Tehsil Pehowa in Kurukshetra district.
Sri Guru Nanak Sahib Ji travelled here in 1516 during his first udasi via Kurukshetra and Pehowa.
A pandit lived here who was very proud of his education and the knowledge he held. Guru Nanak broke the pandits arrogance and taught him to show humility.
Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji arrived here while travelling to Nanakmatta Sahib. A blind and disabled man named Kalu lived here. Kalu was a Sikh and would pray to God and Guru Hargobind to help him.
When Kalu heard that Guru Hargobind was nearby, he crawled to meet Guru Ji and asked for help. A Sikh sitting near Guru Hargobind asked Kalu to apply the dust from Guru Hargobind's shoes to his eyes. When Kalu put the dust on his eyes he was able to see again.
Guru Hargobind blessed Kalu asking him to keep Guru Ka Langar going and not to beg for donations. Guru Ji explained that if Kalu remained true then his illnesses would be removed.
When Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji travelled here in 1675 a masand living here, appointed by Guru Hargobind, disappeared. The masand had been scared Guru Tegh Bahadur's visit would attract the attention of the muslims and so ran away. Guru Tegh Bahadur was treated with great respect and devotion by the village Sangat.
Before leaving Guru Tegh Bahadur asked the villagers to stay away from Tobacco and paid another masand 500 rupees to have a well and garden built for the local Sangat. The masand built the well and garden but kept them as his own. As a result the garden went dry.
Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji travelled here from Siana Sayyada and stopped under an imli tree. Guru Gobind Singh gave strict warnings to the earlier masand who was controlling the Sangat's finances for his own. The Imli tree is still preserved here.
Back to Historic Sikh Gurdwaras list
Gurmat Gyan (Knowledge)
Other Gurbani Contributors