Bharatgarh, an old village, located 18 km north of Ropar, is associated with Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji.
In July 1675, Guru Tegh Bahadur stopped to rest at this village while travelling from Anandpur Sahib to Delhi.
Guru Tegh Bahadur had resolved to make the supreme sacrifice to uphold freedom of faith. Guru Tegh Bahadur's first stop was at Kiratpur where Guru Ji spent a day meeting various Sikhs. The next stop was at Bharatgarh, a distance of about 10 km from Kiratpur.
A platform was established here to commemorate the visit. The old gurdwara, also known as Gurdwara Pehla Praow, was re-constructed in 1932. It is situated along the main street and consists of a flatroofed rectangular hall with a verandah on the eastern side.
In front of the old Gurdwara, a newer and mush larger Gurdwara has been built. The Gurdwara is managed by a committee of the local Sikhs.
Back to Historic Sikh Gurdwaras list
Gurmat Gyan (Knowledge)
Other Gurbani Contributors