This Gurdwara is situated at a distance of 10 km northwest of Patiala City on Patiala-Bhadson Road in village Lang.
Gurdwara Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib Lang is also known as Gurdwara Dukh Bhanjan Sahib Patshahi Nauvin. The designation Dukh Bhanjan is only a recent addition.
Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji travelled from Ugani, Naulakha, Jakhwali, Tehlpura, Aakar, Lang and Chalela during part of Guru Sahib's tour of the Malwa region.
Along with Guru Tegh Bahadur was Mata Gujri, Mata Nanaki, Mata Nanaki, Bhai Lakhi Shah Vanjara and other Sikhs.
It is said that Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji stopped to rest at this place in 1665 during their journey to the east and Assam.
The Gurdwara established to commemorate the holy visit was originally a small hut. It was replaced by a proper Manji Sahib by Maharaja Karam Singh of Patiala (1798-1845), who also made an endowment of 500 bighas of land. Under post-independence tenancy laws, the tenants became owners of all but seven bighas.
The building was reconstructed by Bhai Chhota Singh (d. 1975) who looked after the Gurdwara for two decades. A small square room, constructed over the spot where he was cremated, is being developed into a picture gallery containing paintings of scenes from Sikh history.
The main building consists of a square assembly hall, with the sanctum in the centre marking the site of the original Manji Sahib. A domed square room has been constructed on the first floor over the sanctum. The Gurdwara is managed by a committee of local Sikhs.
Back to Historic Sikh Gurdwaras list
Gurmat Gyan (Knowledge)
Other Gurbani Contributors