Gurdwara Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Nadaun, west of Nadaun on the bank of the Beas River, is located at the site of the Battle of Nadaun.
Guru Gobind Singh and the Sikh's helped Raja Bhim Chand of Kahlur and other Raja's against the mughal general Alif Khan.
In 1687, Alif Khan had been sent by Miari Khan, governor of Jammu, to collect arrears of tribute (tax's) for the mughal emperor wich were several years in arrears.
The funds were sorely needed to maintain Aurangzeb's 'war of attrition' against the Marathas and the cunning Sivaji in the Deccan which had all but emptied the once overflowing treasure chests of the mughal empire.
The battle was fought on 20th March 1691. Guru Gobind Singh described the action in his Bachitra Natak, in vivid and rousing verse, telling us that Alif Khan fled in utter disarray "without being able to fold up his camp."
Alif Khan was routed, forced into retreating in the river's bed, leaving his camp and its store of weapons and ammunition and other valuable contents behind. The Guru had asked his Sikhs to bring weapons and horses. Now the training program, in fighting, that the great Guru had begun was having the mughals contributing as well!
After the battle, Guru Gobind Singh camped at the site of the Gurdwara, for 8 days, where Maharaja Ranjit Singh ordered a Gurdwara to be built. The present Gurwara building is a square domed room, which was constructed by Rai Bahadur Baisakha Singh in 1929. It was taken over by the SGPC in 1935 and is administered through a local committee.
Gurmat Gyan (Knowledge)
Other Gurbani Contributors
Live Gurdwara Kirtan