Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji passed through Majra in 1638 on his way back from Kurukshetra. The Pathans of Ropar supported by Ranghars and Gujjars of the surrounding villages made a suprise unprovoked attack on Guru Hargobind.
The muslims were trying to avenge an earlier defeat on 1st July 1635, when Raja Himmat Chand Hinduri, supported by 100 Sikhs under Baba Gurditta, defeated the Pathans in the Battle of Nangal Gujjran.
Finding Guru Hargobind with only a handful of his Sikhs, a rabble force blocked his way. The Guru took shelter in Majra and the muslims followed and attacked. The exemplary courage of the Sikhs and the Guru's own skill in archery kept the multitude at a distance. Meanwhile, reinforcements arrived from Kiratpur and the muslims were driven away with heavy losses.
Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji arrived in Majra when Guru Ji, with his two elder sons and 40 Sikhs, were on there way from Kotla Nihang Khan to Chamkaur Sahib.
The present Gurdwara was constructed only in 1975 at the instance of Bhai Kartar Singh of Bhindran. It consists of a single square room in which the Guru Granth Sahib is installed with a verandah in front. The sanctum within it is marked by 16 square shaped pillars. The one acre walled compound also contains Guru ka Langar and rooms for the Sikh to stay.
Gurmat Gyan (Knowledge)
Other Gurbani Contributors
Live Gurdwara Kirtan