Gurdwara Degsar Sahib, popularly known as Gurdwara Katana Sahib, is situated along the Sirhind Canal near the GT Road in the Katana village of the Ludhiana District.
Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji visited this site on 20th Phagun (1618 AD). Guru Hargobind had 7 cannons, 1100 horse riders and Chandu Qaidi (the one who was involved in Guru Arjan Sahib's martyrdom).
Guru Hargobind rested here for a night and tied his horse to a 'Ber' tree.
Guru Gobind Singh Ji also visited the place while on his way to Alamgir from Machiwara in 1705. Disguised as the 'Uch Da Pir', Guru Gobind Singh was accompanied by Bhai Daya Singh, Bhai Dharam Singh, Bhai Maan Singh and the two muslim brothers Bhai Nabi Khan and Bhai Gani Khan who were serving as his palki bearers.
Guru Gobind Singh's bed was placed under the 'Ber Sahib' where he rested for the night. It is believed that Guru Ji had his first meal since leaving Machiwara and that he distributed the 'Deg' with his holy hands and named this place as 'Degsar Sahib'. They say that whoever offers Deg with faith here, their hopes are fulfilled by Guru Ji.
During colonial rule the British planned to relocate the Gurdwara. In the year 1854, a survey was conducted regarding Sirhind river and the British proposed to dig an irrigation canal that would require the Gurdwaras relocation, but Mr. Smith, the engineer in charge of the digging work, was suddenly blinded as he attempted to cut down the 'Beri Sahib' under which Guru Sahib had slept.
Blood came out wherever the axe struck the Beri Sahib. The foreign engineer regretted his actions and offered Deg of Rs 51 and began to see again. The Gurdwara was left unaltered and the canal route was changed to pass the Gurdwara to one side.
The Ber Tree still exists and can be seen at the Gurdwara. There are some old cannons located within the Gurdwara complex. Every Sangrand, there is a big 'Jor Mela'.
Gurmat Gyan (Knowledge)
Other Gurbani Contributors
Live Gurdwara Kirtan