The village of Barth is located anout 12 km's from Pathankot in the Gurdaspur district of the State of Punjab.
There are 2 Historic Sikh Gurdwaras in Barth.
Baba Sri Chand Ji was born in 1494 to Mata Sulakhani Ji and Sri Guru Nanak Sahib Ji at Sultanpur Lodhi. Guru Nanak's sister Bibi Nanaki adopted Sri Chand Ji as her own son.
When Guru Nanak Sahib Ji left for his preaching tours (known as Udasis), Baba Sri Chand Ji with his younger brother Baba Lakhmi Das Ji and Mother Sulakhni Ji came to Pakho-ke-Randhawe, where the parents of Mata Sulakhni Ji used to reside.
When Guru Nanak Sahib Ji settled at Kartarpur (now in Pakistan), during the later part of his life, the entire family moved there. After Guru Nanak rejoined with god, Baba Sri Chand Ji went to the place where Gurdwara Dera Baba Nanak is situated. But Baba Ji loved solitude.
Guru Nanak's mother, Mata Tripta belonged to village Barth. So Baba Sri Chand Ji moved to Barth and established a hermitage. At that time a dense forest existed at this place. Baba Ji on seeing this secluded place started meditating and lived at this place for a considerable period of time.
Baba Sri Chand Ji with his disciple Bhai Kamalya Ji went to Amritsar from Barth Sahib to meet Sri Guru Ram Das Ji. Guru Ji came forward to receive Baba Ji with respect. Guru Ji asked Baba Ji to sit on his own seat and offered Rs. 500 and a horse. After staying for 2-3 days, Baba Sri Chand Ji came back to Barth Sahib.
After some time Baba Sri Chand Ji sent Bhai Kamalya Ji to Amritsar to invite Sri Guru Arjan Sahib Ji to Barth Sahib. When Guru Arjan Sahib Ji reached Barth sahib, Baba Ji was meditating. Guru Arjan returned the following day waiting for Baba Ji to complete his meditation. This continued for 6 months. The place where Guru Ji waited has an octagonal pillar of mosaic concrete, in front of a square flatroofed room, known as Tham Sahib.
When Baba Ji opened his eyes, he received Guru Ji with respect. Guru Ji had discussions with Baba Ji. Guru Ji recited his 16 Ashtpadis. Baba Ji asked Guru Ji to utter 24 Ashtpadis. Guru Ji asked Baba Ji to add to 'Sukhmani Sahib'. Baba Ji uttered this Slok: "Aad Sach Jugad Such Hai Bhi Such Nanak Hosi Bhi Such." Guru Ji collected some pothi's (holy books) from Baba Ji for compilation of 'Sri Adi Granth.'
Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji with his family visited Barth Sahib to pay homage to Baba Ji. Baba Ji asked Guru Ji, "Will you keep all your sons with yourself or will you offer any to me?" Guru Ji offered his eldest son Baba Gurditta Ji. Baba Sri Chand Ji appointed Baba Gurditta Ji as his successor and head of Udasi's.
Gurdwara Sri Barth Sahib is also known as Gurdwara Tap Asthan Baba Sri Chand and is in memory of Baba Sri Chand (eldest son of Sri Guru Nanak Sahib Ji). The ascetic son of Guru Nanak and the founder of the Udasi order Baba Sri Chand lived here deep in the forest for the last part of his life. Baba Sri Chand was visited here by Guru Arjan Sahib who told Baba Sri Chand about the hostility of the Gurus elder brother. Baba Sri Chand replied: "This will be his undoing and ruin both in this world and the next".
Guru Hargobind also visited Baba Sri Chand here and when Baba Sri Chand complimented the Guru on his chivalry and piety, Guru Hargobind replied with great humility, "It is all the result of your blessing". Guru Hargobind also gave his son Baba Gurditta to Baba Sri Chand as the next leader of the Udasi order. Baba Sri Chand died and was cremated here at Barth Sahib in 1612 at the ripe old age of 118. Baba Sri Chand had a baoli (well) dug. A Sarovar has been constructed on both sides of the baoli. Baba Sri Chand planted a beri tree, which still exists. A samadh of Bhai Kamalya Ji is located nearby.
The Gurdwara at Barath was maintained by udasi's until the Gurdwara reform movement of 1920`s when it passed into the control of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee. Construction of the present complex commenced in 1968. It comprises the old domed room, with a tall brass pinnacle, on top of a mound, since renovated and extended by a circumambulatory verandah, a vast fenced compound on an elevated surface, and a row of rooms for pilgrims and the Guru ka Langar. The old Baoli Sahib, since converted into a small circular tank, is in a separate compound about 50 metres away from the main Gurdwara. A small pond and a few trees, to the southeast of the Gurdwara, represent the old garden where Guru Hargobind is believed to have encamped at the time of his visit to Barth.
The Gurdwara owns 60 acres of arable land and is administered by a manager appointed by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee and assisted by a local committee. The Tap Asthan, where the Guru Granth Sahib is now seated, is visited by a large number of Sikhs, especially on amavasya, the last day of the dark half of the lunar month, when religious divans and community meals take place. The most important function of the year is a two day fair held in mid-April to celebrate Vaisakhi.
Gurdwara Sri Guru Arjan Sahib Barth is located where Sri Guru Arjan Sahib Ji stayed when he came to visit Baba Sri Chand.
Guru Arjan stayed here for 6 months and would hold diwans for the Sangat. Guru Arjan had a sarovar constructed and also planted a Bagh (garden). Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji also visited here afterwards.
Back to Historic Sikh Gurdwaras list
Gurmat Gyan (Knowledge)
Other Gurbani Contributors