Gurdwara Bhai Daya Singh Bhai Dharam Singh Nanded is situated in the same complex of Takht Sri Hazur Sahib, very near the main Gurdwara Sahib.
Bhai Daya Singh Ji and Bhai Dharam Singh Ji, were two of the original Panj Pyaras who were initiated into the Khalsa by Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji at Anandpur.
Both Bhai Daya Singh Ji and Bhai Dharam Singh Ji, who remained with Guru Gobind Singh until the last moments, were cremated here.
Mai Bhago came to Nanded with Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji. After Parlok Gaman of Guru Sahib, Mai Bhago used to meditate here.
Pictures Taken on 15th December 2009.
Bhai Daya Singh (26 August 1669 - 1708), the first of the Panj Piare (or the five beloved) celebrated in the Sikh tradition, was the son of Bhai Suddha, a Sobti Khatri of Lahore, and Mai Diali. Before becoming a Sikh his name was 'Daya Ram'.
Bhai Daya Singh's name is uttered first among the five Beloved of the Guru (Panj Pyaras) in the Sikh Ardas.
Bhai Suddha was a devout Sikh of Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji and had visited Anandpur more than once to seek his blessing. In 1677, he travelled to Anandpur along with his family including his young son, Daya Ram, to make obeisance to Guru Gobind Singh, this time to settle there permanently.
Daya Ram, already well versed in Punjabi and Persian, engaged himself in the study of classics and gurbani. He also received training in the use of weapons.
In the historic divan in the Keshgarh Fort at Anandpur on 30 March 1699, he was the first to rise at the Guru's call and offer his head, followed by four others in succession. These five were the first to be admitted to the fold of the Khalsa and they in turn administered the rites of initiation to Guru Gobind Singh who called them collectively Panj Piare. Daya Ram after initiation became Daya Singh.
Although the five enjoyed equal status as the Guru's close confidants and constant attendants, Bhai Daya Singh was always regarded as the first amoung equals. He took part in the battles of Anandpur, and was one of the three Sikhs who followed Guru Gobind Singh out of Chamkaur on the night of 7/8 December 1705, eluding the besieging hordes. He was Guru Gobind Singh's emissary sent from the village of Dina in the Punjab to deliver his letter which became famous as Zafarnamah, the Letter of Victory, to Emperor Aurangzeb, then camping at Ahmadnagar.
Bhai Daya Singh, accompanied by Bhai Dharam Singh, reached Ahmadnagar via Aurangabad, but found that it was not possible to have access to the emperor and deliver to him the letter personally as Guru Gobind Singh had directed. Daya Singh sent Dharam Singh back to seek the Guru's advice, but before the latter could rejoin him with fresh instructions, he had managed to have the letter delivered, and had himself returned to Aurangabad. In Aurangabad, Gurdwara Bhai Daya Singh Bhai Dharam Singh marks the location where they stayed.
Bhai Daya Singh and Bhai Dharam Singh returned and, according to Sikh tradition, they rejoined Guru Gobind Singh at Kalayat, a town 52 km southwest of Bikaner (28°4'N, 73°21'E) in Rajasthan. Bhai Daya Singh remained in attendance upon the Guru and was with him at the time Guru Sahib departed this world at Nanded on 7 October 1708. Bhai Daya Singh also departed this world at Nanded soon after, where today, a joint memorial for him and for Bhai Dharam Singh known as Angeetha (literally burning pyre) stands in memory of these two famous Panj Piare.
Bhai Daya Singh was a learned man. One of the Rehatnamas, manuals on Sikh conduct, is ascribed to him.
Bhai Dharam Singh (3 November 1666 - 1708) had been a farmer when he answered a request of Guru Gobind Rai, which led to his becoming one of the Panj Pyaras. He was the son of Bhai Sant Ram and Mai Sabho, of Hastinapur, an ancient town on the right bank of the Ganges, 35km northeast of Meerut (29°N, 77°45'E) near modern New Delhi.
Dharam Das, as he was originally named, fell into the company of a Sikh who introduced him to the teachings of the Sikh Gurus. Dharam Das left home at the age of thirty in the quest of further instruction. At Gurdwara Sri Guru Nanak Piao Sahib, he was advised to go and meet Guru Gobind Singh at Anandpur, where he arrived in 1698.
In 1699, during the historic Vaisakhi congregation at which five Sikhs, responding to five successive calls of Guru Gobind Singh, Dharam Das was one of the five brave Sikhs who offered, one after the other, to lay down their heads.
The Guru blessed them and called them Panj Piare, the five beloved of him. They were anointed as the first five members of the Khalsa that were inaugurated on that day.
Bhai Dharam Singh with Bhai Daya Singh accompanied Guru Gobind Singh out of Chamkaur fort on night of 7/8 December 1705.
During the war of succession following the death of Aurangzeb on 20 February 1707, Guru Gobind Singh, siding with Prince Mua'zzam in his quest for the Gaddi (throne) of the Mughal Empire, sent for the help Bhai Dharam Singh who with his small band of Sikhs fought in the battle of Jajau (8 June 1707).
Bhai Dharam Singh was one of the Sikhs who accompanied Guru Gobind Singh to Nanded and was with him when he departed from this world.
Gurmat Gyan (Knowledge)
Other Gurbani Contributors
Live Gurdwara Kirtan